Sometimes I just enjoy looking at a dog in deep slumber. Anyone else? Something so soothing about it. Both my pups have unique approaches to catching Z’s. Lulu snores her head off and prefers the lion position—laying outstretched on her belly. Betsy, on the other hand, sleeps like a doughnut, completely curled in a ball like her ancestors who lived in the wild and tucked themselves in tight to retain heat. Betsy also loves to lay on her side, conveying a deep level of comfort and and even vulnerability, as her underbelly is unprotected.
Dogs certainly love the rest, and can lazily sleep 70% of the day away. Nothing to be concerned about, as dogs don’t enter the deepest sleep states, like us humans. As long as we keep them active during the other 30% of the time, they should be A-OK. There’s an old saying: “Never wake a sleeping dog.” There is actually a lot of truth to that. Be sure to remind children not to wake a sleeping dog, as they can startle and elicit an aggressive response.
If you do need to wake your dog, tap them gently on the rear. Which reminds me of another saying: “Let sleeping dogs lie!” Well, why not? They can save their energy and can give us lots of love later.